Friday, August 28, 2015

Week #4: Finishing up unit 2

     This  week we worked on finishing up unit 2 of both LHFHG and Preparing along with a few fun projects and a homeschool sack lunch and play at the park meet up. We had a group of area home school families meet up.
     I know our blog is long and detailed but I want to look back and read as many of these sweet moments as I can. Another reason whey the length and details is so that anyone out there who happens to read our blog cannot say that home schoolers don't do anything all day!
     Before any confusion sets in I listed the days 3.2 which to us means day 3, second half or right side.

Monday

LHFHG Unit 2 Day 4.1
*Calendar: Ian is getting better at recognizing our place value straw chart!!
*Phonics: In AAR we did the letter R which Ian is excellent at! He remembers almost 100% of the time that all letters start at the top and sometimes we have to jump up to finish it!
*Fine Motor: Ian traced some letters and wrote a few as well as did a cut and paste matching activity. In HWOT we worked on the V and making straight slanted lines.
*Math: We used cheerios to make a set of numbers in a few different ways! He LOVED this lesson and did very well. He also worked on writing the number 1 which he has been doing for a while.
*History/Rhyme: I read to him about Noah and God's promise of a rainbow. It fit in with what the girls are studying his week. We did the rhyme of the week that went along with our study.
*Rotating: We did a science lesson which was the highlight of his day! We found some objects to sink and float and also made a tin foil boat and filled it with weights to represent the ark and the animals. Anything with water has this boy hooked!
*Bible/Music: Ian can say his verse!! We practiced saying it while throwing a baseball and little sister had to join in the fun!
*Keyboarding: The first half of this weeks lesson is complete!
*PE: Mommy went outside and practiced some baseball skills with my favorite littler player!! He caught some pop flies and was so happy!!! He is so excited to show off his skills at practice tonight!

Preparing Unit 2 Day 3.5 
*Reading: The girls started their new humor books today and had to make some predictions on their books. I let them choose the books they wanted to read this round.
*Writing: This week our writing about David and Goliath with finish up. We read part 3 of our lesson and did the outline and retell. The girls love this day of writing as it means very little writing on their part.
*Poetry: The girls illustrated their poems today after reading them and learning more about Robert Louis Stephenson.
*Language: We diagrammed sentences for review today. They girls did good for the most part getting 8 out of 10 of the sentences correct. This is so new to all of us so missing only missing two the first time I had them do them all alone was good.
*Bible: The girls did their quiet time. I hope it is going well for them, they don't say much about it. They are learning their verses.
*Math: The girls did not want me teaching the "lesson". They were confident in their subtraction skills with regrouping. Ally got all 20 problems correct and Audrey only missed 1!! Go girls!
*Science: I am loving the independence of science this year! The girls are taking the responsibility very well. Today they had to read and answer questions and I was pleased with their work. I did have to have Audrey elaborate a bit more on one question. She is known for only wanting to but the bare minimum down. Both girls used complete sentences and found all of the answers on their own.
*Music: The girls listened to their CD of the verse and practiced their piano songs and did some theory work.
*Keyboarding: Lesson one for the week for the girls is also halfway done!
*PE: Audrey went outside and did ball drills with me since she plays softball and will start back in the next few weeks. Ally wanted to read while walking on the elliptical. They also worked on good running form from a youtube video and did sit ups and jumping jacks.

Tuesday
Today was co op day!!! All of the kids are enjoying their classes and meeting new friends. Ally starts her dance class back today and she is so excited!!! I am blessed that I am able to work the desk while she has class and in exchange her lesson are paid for! With four kids who enjoy different activities and only one income we try to save and do what we can to cut costs. I love being able to help out her teacher and save some money on her lessons! I always wanted to be a room mom : ) but since we home school this is the next best thing! Here is a photo I snapped of the girls in their history class. I also put one of my sweet Ally at her first dance class of the year. She moved up and is now with the big girls and is the baby of the class! 

Wednesday
 Today is another busy day in our crazy life! The girls have piano lessons and the kids start AWANA back tonight!! Ian moves up to Sparks and the girls move into TnT!! I do not have one in the little clubs this year as the baby is not old enough for Puggles :( Here is a cute photo of her working on her board. She has to do just what everyone else does!

LHFHG Unit 2 Day 4.2

*Calendar: Ian is doing great on his days of the week! He is getting better at finding out what yesterday and tomorrow will be!
*Phonics: Letter S was our focus today and Ian was excited because they did that in co op class yesterday.
*Fine Motor: We worked on patterns and matching them as well as letter practice. Ian still has trouble using lined paper but it is getting better. He is better at finding his own mistakes and fixing them! Coloring is still a struggle!
*Math: We are writing numbers which so far Ian is doing well at. He enjoys math time.
*Story time: We read about Peter Rabbit finding out that Reddy Fox cannot walk!!!  Ian filled out a story sheet that said "Ian can walk but Reddy Fox can't."  He spelled walk "wolc" as I helped him sound it out. I am proud of him!
*Keyboarding:Ian finished his lesson for the week!!!!
*PE We had outside play time and game time at AWANA.

Preparing Unit 2 Day 4.1
*Reading:The girls are on Day 12 of our humor study. They had to compare and contrast themselves to a main character in their book. They are doing great at their reading and assignments, though I do have to remind them to follow punctuation ques when reading aloud.
*Writing: The girls made a rough draft of the final part of our David study. I must brag on Audrey and her use of adjectives and who/which clauses!!! She is my reluctant writing but has really blossomed so far! Ally is a very good writer as well.
*Language: We talked about capitalizing names and initials which came easy to the girls as we have worked on this since they were 5.
*Math: The girls did more work on subtracting numbers with thousands and some word problems. They each made a B plus on their work. They LOVE for me to grade their work, especially math! It is like a game to see what each other will get. I am not sure if this is good or not but for now it is empowering them to go slowly in their work and make few mistakes.
*History Read Aloud/ Story time: I read from Genesis today about after the flood when Noah and God talked. The girls had to each be a character and retell the story to me. I also read from the Great Ice Age book and the girls did a written narration. They did the minimum three sentences but they did it in cursive and without much prompting!
*Independent History: The girls drew giraffes and colored them today. I was happy that no complaining took place and that their work turned out well!
*Timeline: The girls added the Great Flood to their timeline. I included a picture of their timelines. They are each doing their own and keeping them in their index card box.
*Music: The girls had piano lessons.
*Keyboarding: The girls finished their lesson for the week!
*PE: Outside play time and game time at AWANA were our fun exercises of the day! 


Thursday
Today was a rather long day for us and the girls did not get finished until after lunch. Thursday is our cleaning day at home so I think that played a part. They had to have their rooms cleaned and toys picked up so I could vacuum and they also had to get all the trash gathered from the bathrooms and replace the waste baskets with clean/new bags. Then they had to help with the laundry and fold and put away their clothes and then help me put away what was left. Ian does not fold much yet, but he does put his clothes away that go in drawers. With a house full of 6 it takes us all to get things done!

LHFHG Unit 2 Day 5.1 and 5.2 
*Calendar: We are almost done with the teen numbers and Ian can write all of them but still has trouble remembering the names of some. I know he will get it! I also let Ian try his first time journal writing and I could not be happier! We went through some sight words and he asked me if he could write "I love mom and dad." So I pulled out his journal and he did it!!!
*Phonics: Letter T was our focus today and Ian did much better on his coloring though he did want to call the toad a frog and was confused by it. I will say that AAR pre-reading has some different pictures for their letters but we are enjoying it.
*Storytime: I read more about Reddy Fox and how Peter Rabbit went to see him and was happy at first that Reddy was in pain and could not chase him. He soon realized that he felt bad for Reddy. Ian made the connection to when his friends felt bad for him when he broke his leg last fall.
*Fine Motor: Ian worked on his name, which he can easily do but he also had to match words and remember to look closely at them. He helped me sound out a few of them and enjoyed that !! He also worked on writing some letters both upper and lowercase.
*Math: In math we did the number 5 and it went GREAT! We are actually a day or two ahead!
*History: We had fun talking in different languages after reading and learning about the Tower of Babel. It really helped Ian soak it up and remember!
*Rotating: We acted out building a tower and giving directions in our made up language. Even the baby thought it was fun and helped us out.
*Bible/Music: Ian knows his verse for this unit! We worked a little on his AWANA verse today as well. He has to learn John 3:16 for his Sparks class next week.
*PE: Ian had baseball practice! He also wanted to play a little catch with mom in the yard before practice to warm up : ) 

Preparing Unit 2 Day 4.2
*Reading: Day 13 went down today and we looked at cause and effect relationships and the girls drew or wrote three scenarios from their reading today. They did this effortlessly and correctly!
*Writing: The girls published their work today! We put all three parts of our David story together and worked on creating a good catchy title and an illustration! I am so proud of their work! Next week we will start another three part writing project.
*Poetry: The poetry called for them to share their poem so they each read the poem to one of the younger siblings : )
*Language: I think we did lesson 16 over using quotation marks. I had the girls do a few of them and they did well though if the sentences started with the quote it was a bit harder for them.
*Bible: The girls had to have verses 1-3 of Psalm 1 in their common place book in cursive!
*Math: We did multiple step word problems that gave them a run for their money! I had to re work a few with Audrey because she tends to rush but she got it after some one on one.
*Science: Experiment day!!!! The girls each came up with a way to make ice melt. Audrey decided to use hot water and Ally used a hair dryer. The hot water melted the ice faster!!! We also learned that when the Arctic Tundra starts to melt as it gets warmer the animals start having babies.
*Dictation/Spelling: Ally finally passed her #11 dictation passage after remembering where to place the commas and Audrey did an ASS lesson.
*Music: The girls practiced their new pieces on piano for 15 minutes each as well as did flashcard drills over notes and musical terms.
*PE: The girls chose to do the elliptical while reading a book and then play outside!


Friday: 
We did a short day today ; ) We have a play afternoon set and since we will need to leave early so the baby can nap I want to get there early!

LHFHG Unit 2 Day 5.2
*Calendar: Ian finished up day 5 yesterday of unit 2 so we just took a long calendar time and covered some math skills and phonics skills and then called it a day! We made our second bundle today, so yay for 20 days of school down!
*PE Play at the park!

Preparing Catch up Day
*Writing: Today was free writing in their journals, something they both enjoy doing, though I do sometimes throw a topic out there for them. Ally wrote about her birthday party back in April and Audrey wrote about her first time at AWANA in T and T this week.
*Math: The girls did review 1 today without my help. The both scored in the passing range!!! Ally got an A and Audrey got a C plus (79)!
*Music: Piano practice. The girls are both working on songs for church. They hope to play in the next few weeks.
*PE: Play at the park! They had so much fun playing with fellow homeschoolers in our area.  We all cannot wait for next month!!! 

This was such a good week and the kids are doing very well!  Here is their weekly video! They are 20 days smarter!! We are looking forward to starting on unit 3 next week.

https://www.facebook.com/lisa.vanevera/videos/10207659800596563/?l=7817424003254976035




2 comments:

  1. I enjoy reading detailed week in review posts! Especially because we will be doing Preparing next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for such a great look at your week! That is so great your little sweetie gets to do dance lessons! What a blessing :)

    ReplyDelete