Ugh!! Every parenting book or article I have read talks about the terrible twos and how they will outgrow them. Well we passed two and survived, it was better than we thought but BAM! Now were are in the Tremendously Terrible Threes!! I am already counting down the days to four and have decided that Ian will be shipped to my parents for ages 2 and 3. Audrey and Ally are pretty good for the most part but boy do they keep Paul and I on our toes. I am glad that they are intelligent for their age but boy they try to reason themselves out of EVERYTHING! For example at bedtime we hear the following:
1. Well we took a nap so we don't need to go to bed right now, we will go when we get tired again.
2. You are not in bed and you are big. I am big too so I will go when you do.
3. YOU NEVER LET ME DO ANYTHING!
The last one is usually followed by a horrendous fit resulting in us closing the door, and hearing screams and sobs followed by two angelic looking sleeping faces.
They want to reason about any decision we make. It drives me CRAZY!! I seriously think I add about 5 gray hairs a day from it. Sometimes what they come up with too funny like the time Audrey told me she should still get some gum because she is my baby girl and I love her so I should give it to her and then next time she will be big and I can keep the gum then.
Another three year old habit we have discoverd is the art of whining over ANYTHING! It can be over someone taking a toy, not getting to do what they want, choosing what to eat, or even as something as trivial as what color panties to wear! Apparently we are not very good parents because nothing we do seems to make it any better. So the new rule is if you whine you do it in your room, or if you are out in public you go with a parent to the car, and the next big privelage that comes up you have to miss out. Sometimes I wish I was the one who could go to time out! So I have had to take books at bedtime away! They love to read and hear stories before bed and it breaks their hearts to get that taken away. We have only had to do it a few times so maybe we are on the right track. I am seriously thinking of going back to school and get a degree in chemistry or physics and then invent a pill to either cure the whinyiness or to stop time until I think it has passed and then proceed on from there.
My girls are also very loving and kind and full of energy and I love them dearly. But to keep my sanity I have to relay on those sweet words of the Almighty Lord .."And this too shall pass"
No comments:
Post a Comment