Friday, September 5, 2014

Week 5

We had a great but extremely busy week this week at our house. We took Monday off to celebrate Labor Day as a family. Tuesday was spent having classes for 3 hours at co op, Ally's dance class, and Ian's baseball practice. Wednesday I had Ian's speech, the girls piano lessons, a trip to the vet for the cat who had an UTI, and then topped off with AWANA. Ian had his very first baseball game on Thursday night but not before the baby came down with an ear infection and we had to schedule in a trip to the doctor. I was sure happy to see Friday come! We had a light school day and the kids spent an hour or more outside planting apple seeds! We are all ready for the weekend with NOTHING pressing on our schedules other than church on Sunday. 

Ian did a review week in LHTH and did well on recalling his letters and sounds A-D. He was mostly excited about his first baseball game this week but I used that to keep him focused. He is enjoying his HWOT book and right now we are working on colors and shapes, which is mostly knows. He is trying hard to color neatly and stay in the lines. 

In Bigger we did unit 5 over early settlements in the New World. Here are the highlights and lots of pictures. 

Bible: Proverbs 18:10 Responsibility   Now that AWANA is back up and going the girls are memorizing their verses for that but we work on our school verse as well, I just don't require them to memorize it though most of the time they do anyway. As our verse and trait discussed we learned and practiced responsibility. The girls made a list of all of their responsibilities and checked them off as they did them : )

Poetry: "Each in his Own Tongue"  I will just include a photo of all the hard work the girls did on their poem this week. 

Language: We reviewed what we have learned about sentences and moved on to nouns. 

Music:Our new hymn is O for a Thousand Tongues and we read the history and meaning behind the song and sang it all week. The girls are really enjoying music.
Handwriting: The girls are still plugging along in their workbooks and are working really hard so that we can start cursive.  The teachers guide I have with HWOT is making handwriting fun for the girls this year thus causing lots of improvement! 

Story time:  This week started adventure books! We started reading Seabiscut and it was too boring for me and girls so we switched to Treasure Island and even though I had to tell them that rum was pirate root beer they are LOVING this book much better. 


DITHOR: We are continuing our study of adventure books in reading. Ally is reading Toliver's Secret and Audrey is reading Stone Fox and will then read Dolphin Adventure! They are dong so well and I am so proud of them. Our story element focus is on problem/conflict and our trait we are studying is Fear of the Lord. 


Vocabulary: I will just include the photo of their work this week. 

Writing: I read the book Shelia Rae the Brave this week and all of our lessons were centered around that. We focused on character, problem, and proper nouns. In their journals this week the girls wrote about being brave either a true story or one they made up. Audrey choose a personal narrative and Ally chose yo make one up. They were both very good! 

Audrey: " This is about when I was brave. I was brave diering a big storm. I was scard at first but then I became brave. I remimbered that God was with me. I was brave! When the storm stop I was okay. Then I was no longer scard. I felt all better when the storm stopped. That is all about when I was brave."


Ally: " This is about me being brave. I was brave when there was a monster under my bed! I was brave because I did not scream. I just kept on playing. Then I played with Audrey. then the monster came and Audrey screamed, Ian screamed and I just kept on playing. Then we went to bed and the monster went away. " 

Math: This week we started on multiplying by five. We started by skip counting and then using nickles to count by fives. The girls caught on quickly and it was fairly easy for them. They still struggle a bit with dividing but are doing much better. 

History /Geography: This week we mapped out the voyage the Mayflower took, discussed wants verses needs, looked at how the world is divided into hemispheres, and oh so much more! We reviewed the Pilgrims reasons for leaving England and we also learned about a man named Don Juan Onate who left his country for similar reasons long before the Pilgrims. The girls remembered much from last year and  I was pleased. They did like learning more about Myles Standish and Squanto. They had fun with all of the lessons and activities we did this week. They really enjoyed cutting out pictures of things they want and things they need. 

  

Science:This week was a lot of fun. The girls got to finish their page from last week on vertebrate and invertebrates as well as finish the book Seashores! We then moved on to the book Science in Colonial Times, which I am enjoying more : ) We did a fun experiment to show how fast germs spread and how to prevent it. They were all shocked that germx did not work to take way many germs. We then learned how scientist back then used the stars to help with navigation, time, telling of the seasons, and such by demonstrating how to use the North Star. 

 















Art: In art this week the girls did sand art which is a way the Indians did art. They really enjoyed this even though their work did not turn out like they wanted. I think they really enjoyed dying the salt the many colors we used : ) 

We really did have a fun week and manged to get in the entire unit. We doubled up here, worked a little before bed, took some work with us on our trips to the doctor, the vet, and to speech, and even did some work in the car! I am hoping that next week we can stay on track and get things done in our normal 2 1/2 hours once a day setting but hey one of the perks of homeschooling is flexibility! I will add that our tea party this week was actually a cookies and milk party because we needed a little something extra to end our rather hectic week on : ) 



                                      Weekly Homeschool Lesson Plans 2014/2015          
Week of                                                             Unit # 5 Topic: Early Settlements in the New World

         Day 1                Day 2                    Day 3                   Day 4                Day 5
Prayer, Calendar
Language
p. 50-51      
p. 52-53
p. 54-55
p. 56-57
p. 58-59
Bible
Verse:   Proverbs 18:10 Responsibility       Devotion: Little Pillows p. 92-94
Poetry
“Each in His Own Tongue”
Dictation
Passage 9
Passage 9

Passage 10
Review
DITHOR


Kickoff Adventure
Act out and adventure book
Day 1 Pre reading
Day 2 Story Discussion/Vocabulary
Day 3 Story Element-Story Map
Day 4 Godly Trait
Examples of fear of the Lord/respect
HWOT
Favorite Activity p. 165
U words p. 71 & 56 Number 5 p. 143
I  words p. 72
Laser letters p. 56
E words p 73
Letter Story p. 68
Number 6 p. 144
Letter size and place p. 74 hand activity p. 54
Read Aloud
Title: Come on Seabiscut   Genre:  Adventure   Story Element:  Problem/Conflict    Trait: Fear of the Lord
Writing
Shelia Rae
Charades/ Sentences

Shelia Rae
Proper Nouns
Shelia Rae
Character Study
Journal: Write about being brave like Shelia
Math
Counting by 4 TB 20-21 WB Ex 13
Related Facts
TB 22-23 WB Ex14/15  
Word Problems
WB Ex 16/17
Division by 4
TB 23-24 WB Ex18 #1-2

Science

Seashores p.43-42Retell/ Narrate
Notebook from p. 40-43
Science in Colonial America p. 6-8  Experiment
Science in Colonial America p. 9  Narrate/Retell
Science in Colonial America p. 10-11
Experiment
Art
Indian sand paint




Geography

Study Hemisphere



History




Journeys in Time  p. 10-11
Don Juan
Journey’s in Time p. 12-13  
Pilgrims set sail
First Book of American History p. 49-53 Narrate
VOCABULARY!!!
First Book of American History p.54-59
Plymouth Attacked
Needs vs Wants
Notebook:
Map Work
Timeline Entry
Music
Kids Heart Vol.1 Track 4 “O for a Thousand Tongues” Page 35-39 and Piano Practice
Extra’s
Technology
Liberty Co op
Piano Lessons
PE
PE /Technology

Ian’s Lessons
Ian’s speech
Letter Review A-D
Bible/Activity Joseph
Finger Play What Do You Know
Music: Track 10 Joseph’s Dream
Count on Me:


Rotating
Number 5, sort pennies, Q tip paint,
ETC/HWOT



Weekly Notes: _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________­­­­­­­_____
­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Curriculum Resources: Heart of Dakota: Bigger Hearts for His Glory, Singapore Math, Handwriting Without Tears, Internet, Library, Drawn Into The Heart of Reading, Preparing to Build 2, Heart of Dakota: Little Hands to Heaven, Get Ready for the Code

No comments:

Post a Comment