Friday, September 25, 2015

Wrapping up unit #4!

Monday

LHFHG Day 3.1 
*Calendar: We reviewed a lot of our morning skills and counted the days in school! 
*Phonics:  We did the lower case e! The word was echo, so Ian loved being an echo and making his own echos! 
*Fine Motor: Ian had to find out what the part went to and match it. He also had to match m sounds to a mouse, and work on writing his letters with a focus on the T. 
*Math; In math we finished up the counting to 10 forward and backwards unit!! Ian is doing very well on it. Next we will move into shapes. 
*History/Rhyme: Today our lesson was on Moses getting put into a basket in the river as a baby and the Pharaoh's daughter finding him and saving him. We love this story!
*Bible/Music: We are still working on Proverbs 3:5-6 and traced some more parts of it. We then sang our song to help us memorize it. 
*Rotating: We acted out the story of Moses in the basket! We took turns hiding the baby and finding it! Emersyn enjoyed this so much that she took the baby out, put herself in, and we had to find her! 
*Keyboarding: Ian did the first part of his lesson today and got to learn a new skill, word typing!!! 
*PE: Ian did some jumping jacks, sit ups, jumping around, climbing, running, skipping, just pretty much being a boy! 

Preparing Day 3.1
*Reading: Today was Day 8 of mysteries. We are going a little faster than the guide and doing reading 4 days a week instead of 3. Today the girls had to give clues found in their books! 
*Writing: Today we started writing about Elijah and will be working on it in three parts using IEW Bible Heros. I made the girls each write their own outlines today instead of me writing one with them giving me the details. They did pretty well! 
*Language: We reviewed common and proper nouns with lesson 30. I only had the girls do the paragraph where they had to supply either a proper or a common noun in the blank depending on if there was a C or P. One girly made a B and one made an A, both very good in my opinion! 
*Math: We started a new unit today over division with remainders. This just may be the death of me!! You would have thought I was speaking Chinese to them! They will get it but boy is it going to be tough on all of us! 
*History Reading/Story time: I read from  A Child's History of the World (CHOW) today about how the people of Mesopotamia spread out after the Tower of Babel. We looked more at the map we have been studying. I also read from  Genesis about how Noah's family spread out. We talked about this and then found the bodies of water on a map. 
*Independent History: The girls did cursive copy work today over our unit of study. 
*History Project: What a fun project!! We finished our map of the bodies of water in Mesopotamia by adding water to fill the seas and ice cubes to depict the Ice Wall. I think the girls did very well! 
*Rotating: Geography was today's focus. We looked at our world maps and found the rivers in the bible and what countries they are in today. The girls thought it was neat to see they were still around and to see what area the Garden of Eden may have been in. 
*Music: The girls had 15 minutes each of piano practice! 
*Keyboarding: Everyone had a 10-15 minute lesson with their skills on the computer using Keyboarding Without Tears. There are usually 10-15 skill games per lesson and we split it into two days. 
*PE: Audrey has a softball practice today so Ally chose to get on the elliptical and read for 15 minutes. They don't go fast but they are getting some exercise in!

Tuesday
     Today is co op classes all morning, dance class tonight, and Ian has a baseball game!! What a busy but fun day for all of us!!! Thanks goodness we are going to Nanny's house where she will be making dinner! Ones less thing for this busy momma to do today! 

Wednesday

LHFHG Day 3.2
*Calendar: We had a good day working on our counting, weather, seasons, months of the year, days of the week, and our  yesterday, today, tomorrow!! 
*Phonics: We did the lowercase f in AAR today as well as reviewed all our letters and sounds. 
*Fine Motor: We did some sound matching and letter writing of the letter J in HWOT. Ian did great matching m and sh sounds in his DIC book! 
*Math: Today we started shapes. Ian had to trace and name each shape. We talked about the sides and points. He did GREAT! 
*Storytime: I read about Granny Fox sensing there was trouble and keeping Reddy safe. Farmer Brown's boy is out hunting trying to find and get rid of Reddy Fox! 
*Keyboarding: Ian finished his lessons for the week! 
*PE: We did some jumping jacks and sit ups today to get our bodies moving before learning : ) Tonight Ian has games at AWANA!! 

Preparing Day 3.2
*Reading: Today was just a reading day! I did make the girls retell me about what they read! 
*Writing: The girls had to create their rough draft of our writing part 1 over Elijah. They both did well adding adjectives, ly words, and a who/which clause as well as including the setting and characters. 
*Language: We moved on to plural and singular nouns today and I slowed down a bit and made the girls actually work out of their books! They did okay, though sometimes they do not copy correctly! 
*Poetry: We read the poem and learned that RLS has lots of cousins and when days were good for him he enjoyed playing out in the garden with them. 
*Bible The girls had their quiet time working on Psalm 1;1-6. I included a photo of the cards they use for this that I downloaded off the Facebook group. 
*Math: Today was a review day of previous skills taught this year. Both girls did well on this. They have another review tomorrow before we tackle the dreaded division with remainders again!! 
*Science: The girls used the index of the Arctic Tundra to answer questions. I loved this lesson as it was a great non fiction reading lesson as well as a science lesson review. 
*Music: Piano lessons!! 
*Keyboarding: A and A both finished up their lesson for the week and earned their ticket. They are getting very good at correct typing technique! 
*PE: The girls did some sit ups and jumping jacks to get ready for learning today. Tonight they have kickball in AWANA. 



Thursday

LHFHG Day 4
*Calendar: Ian is still enjoying calendar time!!! 
*Phonics: Today we did the lowercase g and Ian is still getting the sound mixed up with a j. He does fine if I correct him. I know he will get it. Ian wanted to read about Johnny Appleseed for our read aloud. I pulled a bunch of my apple books. He has been all about apple since his lessons in co op this week. I told him that tomorrow we will make an apple cake! 
*Fine Motor: We colored a story about Baby Moses and then he helped me read a rebus story with them. We also worked on letter writing and Ian copied a few small words and we sounded them out in his HWOT! 
*Math:In math we are still working on shapes. He is doing GREAT with the circle, triangle, rectangle, and square that we have worked on. He enjoyed making a shape house! 
*History/Rhyme: Today we skipped the rhyme per Ian's request! I try not to push him so much but I don't always give in either : ) We read from our story bible about Moses and the burning bush and how God used that bush to speak to Moses and tell him to go back to Egypt and free God's people!! 
*Bible/Music: We worked on his AWANA verse and Proverbs 3;5-6. He finished tracing his verses and we sang our song. 
*Rotating: Science day!!! Ian loves science and in his co op class they talked about an apple tree and today's lesson was on what plants need!! We talked about the parts of an apple and an apple tree as well. 
*PE: Outside free play to enjoy this nice fall weather we are having!! 


Preparing Day 4.1
*Reading: The girls had another just reading day for day 10. They each read two pages of their choice to me ;) I love hearing them read! 
*Writing: Publishing was the big writing task of the day!! I am trying to get them to publish in cursive but they forgot and forgot to ask. The first part of their stories are GREAT! I love the style I am seeing!!! 
*Language: Our lesson today was on plural verses possessives. Ally is still a bit confused but Audrey got it! We will do some more work on them. It is a hard subject and I still get mixed up!! 
*Math: I sent the girls to piano practice yesterday with their second math review so that means today we hit dividing with remainders again!! UGH!! It went a little better but with them still struggling to recall basic multiplication facts it takes a LLLOONNGGG time! I sent them out to play after lunch and then waited to do math when they came in and the baby was napping. We needed that uninterrupted time! 
*History Reading/Story time: First, I read about Abram being promised many descendants. We talked about this and how God always keeps his promises. I then read from CHOW about the four ancient civilizations we know about through their writing: China, India, Egypt, and Mesopotamia. The girls had to do a written narration, which was great! We filled out the 5 W's about our reading and are using this plan to write our narration or summary. They are doing well and hitting all the major points! 
*Independent History: Copywork to finish the paragraph they worked on this week was our task. They are doing well with this. 
*Rotating: Today was timeline day and the girls added the Ice Age to their small accordion timelines. 
*Music: 15 minutes of piano practice and theory! 
*PE: Outside free play!! The kids decided to play spies while they were out!! 

Friday 

LHFHG Day 5
*Calendar: We did more review today than most days since Friday is usually a shorter day for him. 
*Phonics: Today Ian wrote in his journal. "I play baseball." was what he wanted to put down. 
*Fine Motor: We worked on handwriting when we did journals today. 
*Math: Today we matched shapes!! We got out our shapes and played with them on the floor beforehand. 
*Story time: I read about Granny Fox leading Bowser the Hound away from Reddy but she forgot about Farmer Brown's Boy!!! Oh no!! 
*History/Rhyme: I read about Moses going before Pharaoh and the plagues that God brought upon Egypt when Pharaoh would say no. We talked about each one and pretended what it would be like to see it! 
*Bible/Music: Today we just worked on his AWANA verses. 
*Rotating: We had a science lesson on insects!! I had Ian draw an insect and we also watched a Magic School Bus video! We did a small discussion on living verses nonliving things with the plagues. 
*PE: Outside playtime at the park! 

As a fun extra project today we read The Apple Pie Tree and then made an caramel apple cake!! We will celebrate Johnny Appleseeds birthday! 

Preparing Day 4.2
*Writing: It's journal day!!! The girls wrote about last weekend when we went out of town. 
*Language: We reviewed possessive and plurals and also added in the "odd" plurals like geese, feet, teeth, oxen, women, men, children. Audrey is still confused to I am looking for an app she can use on her Kindle. 
*Poetry: Today they were supposed to share their poem so I let them each illustrate it. 
*Bible: The girls had to copy verses 5 and 6 of Psalm 1 into their common place books today after sharing the verses with me. 
*Math: Today it was just xtramath on the computer and their first multiplication quiz to earn a bowl : ) I will explain more at the bottom of today's recap. 
*Science: The girls are now in the One Small Square Dessert book. They read about the climate and things that grow and live there. They made a cactus and then used a flashlight to demonstrate that the needles of the cactus help provide shade to the cactus which helps keep it cool! 
*Music: 15 minutes on piano. 
*PE: Outside playtime at the park! 

The girls are having some trouble with their basic multiplication facts so I decided to use the ice cream sundae method, I used as a teacher. Each week we have a quiz and once they pass each set of facts they get a piece to their ice cream sundae! When they get through all 12 we will have a party!! Ian is doing his with sight words! I got all of the printable for free off of Teacher Pay Teachers and just searched for multiplication incentive : ) They were so excited to start this on Friday!!! 

Here is our weekly video showcase!! I think the kids are getting better at sharing!! 

https://www.facebook.com/lisa.vanevera/videos/10207926918234337/?l=8014152791199940858



No comments:

Post a Comment