This week we all started on unit 22 of our HOD guides! We decorated the house for fall and pulled out our fall and Halloween books for some themed reading and extra read aloud time.
Monday
LHFHG: Today we started unit 22. We read about Martin Luther in history and how he does not believe that good works can get you to heaven. We did our rhyme with it and our new verse. Ian traced and colored his verse and also did some cutting for fine motor practice today. In math we worked more on subtraction and a speed drill. We started final blends in reading and. It was it a LONG day with those! We will take a few days for this lesson to set on.
LHFHG: Today we started unit 22. We read about Martin Luther in history and how he does not believe that good works can get you to heaven. We did our rhyme with it and our new verse. Ian traced and colored his verse and also did some cutting for fine motor practice today. In math we worked more on subtraction and a speed drill. We started final blends in reading and. It was it a LONG day with those! We will take a few days for this lesson to set on.
Preparing: The girls did half of day one today. In history we finished reading Countain of Life in our Storytime section! We are sad we finished it but looking forward to the next book!! Now that we completed the book Grandpa''s Bixe, we are now reading from A Child's History of the World for our main history text. Today our chapter was on the rule of Jeus during the time of Augustus Ceaser. The girls started working on making a wreath of leaves worn during a Roman triumph and also reseraeches what a triumph was like. To end complete our history for the day the girls read Matthew 28: 1-20 about Jesus telling the apostles to spread the good news.
In our literacy portion of the day the girls read from their folktale and did some comparing and contrasting from the book of Daniel with the biblical traits of truthfulness, virtue, and kindness. They also read a chapter in our China study, did some dictation work, wrote a rough draft in writing, and did some work on irregular plurals in language.
In math we did something new, digit sums. I had never hewed of this but we all caught on quickly! The girls also did xtra math, some review, and a speed drill. We were so busy today that I did not get any pictures of them working!! I did take picture of their creativity for the day, making dinner for tonight and tomorrow night!!
In math we did something new, digit sums. I had never hewed of this but we all caught on quickly! The girls also did xtra math, some review, and a speed drill. We were so busy today that I did not get any pictures of them working!! I did take picture of their creativity for the day, making dinner for tonight and tomorrow night!!
Tuesday
Today was our weekly co op. The girls had a field trip with their science class and Ian had a guest speaker come in. It was a fireman who brought a fire truck for the kids. It was part of our fire safety unit. I subbed in two classes today so we ate lunch at co op which the kids always enjoy as Tuesday is always pizza day!! I had the girls work on reading, math, and writing while I taught the second class of the day. I am so thankful that tonight is our first night in days that we have not had anything to do outside of school! It was family night in!
Today was our weekly co op. The girls had a field trip with their science class and Ian had a guest speaker come in. It was a fireman who brought a fire truck for the kids. It was part of our fire safety unit. I subbed in two classes today so we ate lunch at co op which the kids always enjoy as Tuesday is always pizza day!! I had the girls work on reading, math, and writing while I taught the second class of the day. I am so thankful that tonight is our first night in days that we have not had anything to do outside of school! It was family night in!
Wednesday
LHFHG: Today Ian finished up day 2 of the unit. We read more about Martin Luther and how he was upset at the Roman Catholic Church did not follow the Bible. He came up with many ways that this was not right and his ideas spread throughout Europe. We also leaned that faith is the only thing that can get you into heaven. We made a gift card and added a card with the word faith on it for our art. We also said our unit verse, sang our song, and did our rhyme.
In math Ian did great with counting money. His subtraction skills are getting stronger and his addition is still great!! I am so proud of his math skills and how well he is doing! We are still working on lesson 24 in AAR. Final blends are going my guy a run for his money in reading and really shaking his confidence. We are going to have to go really slow with this lesson and find a way to keep reading fun.
LHFHG: Today Ian finished up day 2 of the unit. We read more about Martin Luther and how he was upset at the Roman Catholic Church did not follow the Bible. He came up with many ways that this was not right and his ideas spread throughout Europe. We also leaned that faith is the only thing that can get you into heaven. We made a gift card and added a card with the word faith on it for our art. We also said our unit verse, sang our song, and did our rhyme.
In math Ian did great with counting money. His subtraction skills are getting stronger and his addition is still great!! I am so proud of his math skills and how well he is doing! We are still working on lesson 24 in AAR. Final blends are going my guy a run for his money in reading and really shaking his confidence. We are going to have to go really slow with this lesson and find a way to keep reading fun.
Preparing:The girls finished up day one of the unit today. They read and discussed their new verse Psalm 8:1, read our new poem called The Blocks, and also read and added to the star books they have been working on for several units. They did some math and worked on reading and writing numbers to millions as well as more multiplication, xtramath, and a speed drill. We looked at writing good paragraphs in language and will be showcasing some writing and myths we have done in writing. Each girls did thsirbdictation and or spelling and also finished up those second folk tale in reading and created a story map about it. I also had the girls read out loud a chapter in our story about China and then I read them a chapter from the book I am reading to them. They did have a little homework for their co op class that they worked on. They ended their day with piano lesson and we all had AWANA in the evening.
Thursday
LHFHG: Ian did better on his final blends today! I am happy to see progress!! In math he is doing better on subtraction too and I am seeing improvements all around!
In history we acted out our story about Martin Luther with Legos!! We sang our song, read our verse, and did our poem. We also read a chapter in Chatterer!
Preparing: The girls worked on day 2 of the unit. We had a rather long school day for us. We went until well after lunch today! They built a scene with Levi's for their writing showcase, read their folktale and did a retelling, took a language feast and both made an A!!!! In math they did a quiz and did very well. They did some verse copy work and a retelling in science as well as worked on homework for their co op science class. In history they painted leaves for their laurel wreath project. We also read about Nero and Titus and the fall of Pompeii as well as how Jesus predicted the fall of Jerusalem in the book of Luke. Ally had dance class tonight and Audrey had a ball game.
Friday
LHFHG: Ian and I spent the whole schoolday reading, writing, and playing games with final blends! He also sat in on our study of China.
Preparing: The girls took a day off from HOD but they still did school. We did some work on our China study by reading from our two read alouds and discussing them. In art we colored the Chinese flag as I shared facts with them about China. The kids all played outside before we even began school to get all those wiggles out for our day of work ahead. They mad their video showcase about a myth of their choice by using Legos to act out the story. I also had them so writing in their journals. They used our HOD poem as a springboard to write about something they have built. I also had them take an online. Ok quiz and practice math facts to complete our day. In the afternoon we did our Friday poetry tea time and had chocolate milk and candy for a treat as we read and discussed poems!
Preparing: The girls took a day off from HOD but they still did school. We did some work on our China study by reading from our two read alouds and discussing them. In art we colored the Chinese flag as I shared facts with them about China. The kids all played outside before we even began school to get all those wiggles out for our day of work ahead. They mad their video showcase about a myth of their choice by using Legos to act out the story. I also had them so writing in their journals. They used our HOD poem as a springboard to write about something they have built. I also had them take an online. Ok quiz and practice math facts to complete our day. In the afternoon we did our Friday poetry tea time and had chocolate milk and candy for a treat as we read and discussed poems!
Extras we do each week:
*Piano practice for the girls 15 minutes each day with a 30 minute lesson once a week.
*Keyboarding using Keyboarding Without Tears twice a week for Ian and Typing.com for the girls.
* I always make sure to get them active each day with various activities from their sports and dance to playing outside, going to the park, putting in a PE video, you tube videos, elliptical, taking a walk, and more!!
*Journals: Each week the kids do a journal entry. Usually it is free write time but sometimes I do give them a topic. I throw in math lessons sometimes as well.
*Co op is attended once a week for all of us! We go on Tuesdays for one class. The girls are taking Apologia Swimming Creatures. Ian is taking an enrichment first grade rotation class and Emersyn is in the nursery/preschool. I teach the k4- 2nd grade history rotation.
*This year we started Poetry Tea Time (PTT) once a week. We have a treat and a drink for our tea cups and we read, share, appreciate, respond, and write poetry.
* Art: We use Art Hub for Kids on youtube once a week. It is free, fun, and easy! The kids love it!
*Geography Study: The girls wanted to study different countries this year. I had them each pick a few countries they wanted to learn about and what they wanted to know. We will take our time and do a read aloud, a biography, map work, art, research, cooking, and a culminating activity. Some of the counties we plan to "visit" are France, Japan, China, and Moracco.







No comments:
Post a Comment