The VanEvera Family November 19-26
What a wonderful week we had! Paul was off of work for the week and in between his researching and writing we squeezed in as much fun family time as we could!! The girls and I were on our Thanksgiving "break" but we did squeeze in a few lessons such as cooking math, shopping with math, writing Santa letters and lists, and talking and reading about the First Thanksgiving! I guess its the teacher in me that tries to capitalize on all those sweet "teachable moments".
We didn't do alot of school, we took the kids to the movies on Monday to see Hotel Transylvania. It was such a cute movie I just wish I could have seen the whole thing! I missed out on a few parts due to the FIVE trips to the bathroom between the kids and the time Paul let Audrey out by herself and I caught her roaming the theater halls! She didn't get to see all of the movie either :( We were going to go to the Museum of Discovery but they were closed that day.
On Tuesday we stayed around the house because it was SHOT DAY for the entire VanEvera family! Paul had some type of contact rash and got a steroid shot it the booty :). The kids and I got our flu shots for the season. Ian and I got the actual shot and the girls got the mist. Even our sweet cat Belle Belle got her yearly shots! As a reward for being so brave at the doctor we all had lunch at Chick fil a and got to take our friend sweet P! It was alot of fun for all of us! The kids also got a life lesson that sometimes your pets do come back from the vet!
Our last two trips to a the vets office resulted in some sad goodbyes and the kids were terrified of taking Belle. When I told them she was going to the vet, Ally and Audrey started crying saying they didn't want to say good bye to Belle :( I tried explaining it was all okay but that didn't help, they just had to go. When we all came home, Ian was so happy he shouted out "Belle Belle BAACCKKK". We love our Belle, she is my first baby and thankfully she is an onery, perfectly healthy, ten year old cat :)
Wednesday the girls were itching to start decorating for Christmas, the little trees in their room was not enough. Our tradition is to put up our tree Thanksgiving evening and the decorations too, but Daddy caved and we put up just the inside decorations but no tree. The girls had such a good time helping me decide where to put this or that and even though it is not in the "normal" spot for me, it looks good. I have a few more things I want to buy for this year so hopefully I can get out this weekend and finish up. The kids and I also started on our Thanksgiving cooking. This year each of them wanted to make something special for our big meal. Ally made a pumpkin pie, Ian made deviled eggs, and Audrey made a fruit salad. I think I kind of like this new tradition :)
We also did something else that may become a new tradition. There is this homeless man who frequents the park near our home. I assume he is homeless as I have seen him sleep there and search for food leftovers in the trash bins :(. The girls and I took him a hot meal for which is seemed very grateful! I wanted to show the girls to give back and to be thankful for what they have because not everyone is as blessed as we are. We also took some time to pray for the man at the park. I think that each each we will look for someone to help, even if it is just something small!
Thursday was Thanksgiving and we spent it with my parents and brother and had a good meal and a good time. The kids and I went dragon hunting in the fields after pie to help work off some of that good food we ate! Ian loves dragons and "hunting" things and even the girls play along. Such fun memories. When we left we came home and rested a bit and then put up the Christmas tree!!! Ian was into it this year which made it even more fun. I love looking back as they put up their special ornaments.
My Nana since I was born has given me and ornament every year and I have most of them. She has also given Paul one for the last 15 years as well as each of the kids. The kids love to put on their Nana ornaments. As a tradition I buy the kids a new photo ornament each year for them to put on the tree and oh how sweet it is to see them all of those memories and sweet faces hanging on the three and compare how big they have gotten and how small they used to be! I love those photo ornaments! When we were all done we light up the tree, enjoyed a Christmas tree cake and some egg nog while watching a Christmas movie! Such a great tradition!
I really wanted to go out on Black Friday but I didn't, we stayed in and just chilled at the house! I have gone out before but never all night, maybe when Ally is older. She is my shopper!! There were just nothing we needed that bad to go get. We watched more Christmas movies and made a yummy dinner of homemade pizza!
We spent the rest of the weekend resting up and enjoying our family togetherness before the grind of the work/school began. We did a little shopping and baking, and some more of this and that. Church was attended and loved on Sunday as well as a day spent with Nanny, Pawpaw, and Uncle!! We even managed to get to go to Sunday evening services with them! The kids think that is a special treat to go to chuch with Nanny and Pawpaw and how blessed I am that they think that!
Oh, how simple and blessed our life is!!! Is is not glamorous or full of expensive hobbies or activities or travel but is so full of fun and love, that on those days I wish I could just "escape" or "be like ????" that I take one look at my sweet babies or one of them asks me, Mommy, will you play with me? that I snap back to reality and realize how great I have it!
Our life is simple but oh so blessed!
No comments:
Post a Comment