Thursday, September 26, 2013

Review of week 7/unit 7

We had another busy week and it seems it will not let up for a while! We are enjoying Co Op classes but with those on Monday we are already tired for the rest of the week! Tuesday is a busy day because Ian has HIPPY and speech and I have an extra kiddo and then Wednesday is piano and church so by Thursday we are spent! We are loving our Fun Fridays though, short and sweet!! This Friday we have a play date with one of my girlfriends who lives out of state and her three sweet kiddos!

Bible Verse: I will hide thy word in my heart, that I might not sin against thee Psalm 119:40
Poem: Mother's Jewels
Song: I Have Hidden Your Word
Read Aloud: King of the Wind
      We have one more week left in our book and cannot wait to see what happens to Sham and Agba! The girls are loving all the ups and downs of this adventure and while there are references to the Muslim culture, my girls are oblivious to it. We did have a short discussion on who Allah is and I just told them that some parts of the world do not believe in God and that is why we have missionaries.


Spelling: Review Phonics: Audrey- blends Ally- open and closed syllables Ian: letter G  and speech practice.
     The girls did well with all of the review words for the week but when I tested them over a select few, Ally, my top speller, missed two of her words! Oh well, when I showed them to her she spelled them right for me and I know she knows them. Audrey did well, I am proud of her. Ian is also doing well in all of his work too.


History:
Our unit this week was The Pilgrims Move from Amsterdam to Leiden  and we enjoyed photos from a friend of mine who used to live there! He sent me this site http://www.leidenamericanpilgrimmuseum.org/index.htm that the girls loved to explore during their computer time. Here is a pic of them maneuvering around it.


A and A really enjoyed learning some Dutch words and phrases and sharing them with friends and family. Here they are working on their notebook page for the week in history.

Science: 
    This week we talked about work, what it is and how to make it easier. They had fun building stairs and using a ramp to roll a can to demonstrate all the work the Pilgrims had  to do to get ready to leave Leiden and sail to America. I took a picture of the steps to making cloth and some shots over our experiment with ramps and stairs.



Writing/Language: 
            Moses was our bible hero this week and we will continue on with him next week.  The girls are catching on to adjectives as well as the vocabulary we use each week. Here is their writing and a photo of their weekly journals. I had them use two of the vocabulary words we have learned and write a story with them. It was cute that they both wrote about their sister.



   Our language focus was on adjectives and command  sentences. They enjoyed having their stuffed animals follow my commands!

Reading: 
     Reading is going well and we enjoyed our weekly library visit to pick out books. I had them choose some harder books then they were getting and they did well reading them. The weekly running record went well as did their response to their bible story. For their weekly project they made a photo album over their book choice.

Math: 
       We started learning about multiplication this week and both girls caught on surprisingly well! We will work more on this next week as well. I am not going to push memorization right now but just take time to introduce the concept.

Art, Music, Computer: 
   The girls had a good piano lesson this week. They also get music at the Co Op and from our CD. In computer they loved exploring the museum at Leiden on the computer. The link is above. For art we learned to draw lines from our extra art book. They also made a portrait of themselves.


At Co Op this week there was an art show. Here are the entries for my little artists. 






No comments:

Post a Comment