Bible Verse: Review and AWANA
Poem: Months
Song: We skipped it this week.
Read Aloud: King of the Wind
We are enjoying reading about Agba and Sham and have made connections to a new character a cat named Grimalikan!! The girls were so excited! We are working on problem solution and they seem to be catching on. They are having a little trouble grasping the concept of Fear of the Lord, but that is so abstract for them right now. I am glad they are getting introduced to it!
Spelling: double s and double 1 words Phonics: Audrey- blends Ally- syllables Ian: letter F and speech practice.
Ally and Audrey are still loving spelling tic tac toe. I took a few shots of some of the things they did this week during that time. They both got all of their words correct on their spelling test this week.
History:
Our unit this week was over Life in Holland and we learned so much and had such a good time! We learned about scrubbing day so we scrubbed our bikes and went to a car wash! We learned how a canal looks and works. We made some windmills and learned about how they work and what they are used for. The girls are so impressed that kids their age worked! HA! In their journals this week I had them do one of the suggested history activities and had the girls write about life in Holland. They told me so much, I am so glad they listened. They also enjoyed the diary entry in their history notebook and the timeline entry.
Our unit this week was over Life in Holland and we learned so much and had such a good time! We learned about scrubbing day so we scrubbed our bikes and went to a car wash! We learned how a canal looks and works. We made some windmills and learned about how they work and what they are used for. The girls are so impressed that kids their age worked! HA! In their journals this week I had them do one of the suggested history activities and had the girls write about life in Holland. They told me so much, I am so glad they listened. They also enjoyed the diary entry in their history notebook and the timeline entry.
Science:
We did two experiments this week, one over how a stork does not need webbed feet and another on how winter clothes are made to keep us warm. They like both of them. We did the stork experiment twice because it was a bit confusing for them at first but they caught on.
We did two experiments this week, one over how a stork does not need webbed feet and another on how winter clothes are made to keep us warm. They like both of them. We did the stork experiment twice because it was a bit confusing for them at first but they caught on.
Writing/Language:
We finished up our lessons and writing about Joseph this week making for a long but good story. We worked on banned adjectives and the girls had fun spotting them and then trying to pick a better word than their sister. I was very happy with their work
Our language focus was on adjectives and question and statement sentences. They enjoyed the what's in the bag game.
Reading:
Both girls are doing great on their reading and enjoyed the books for their independent reading time. I am very happy with their fluency and their comprehension is also getting better. I did a a running record this week where they both read over 100 wpm! Their literature response this week was to make a film strip over a book they read.
Math:
This week we finished up some harder addition and subtraction and then the girls had a review section, which I called a test! Usually when they do their work I have them correct what they miss as we go back over it together. This works great since I don't do grades but today I decided to grade their "test" and have them do it on their own, reading the directions and everything. Ally ended up making a B and Audrey a C. I was a little shocked at Audrey's but soon realized all of the careless mistakes she made! This was good for her to start taking notice of her work instead of me helping her. Both girls had a lot of trouble with the phrase "how many more" in their word problems. This was hard for fourth graders I taught! We will just keep working on it.
Art, Music, Computer:
Computer time was spent on math facts but after this weeks "test: it looks like I may need to find some word problem practice. We had lots of music with Co Op classes and piano so we didn't use the the CD this week. In art we made windmills instead of the suggested project. We also learned about warm and cool colors with our alternate art book. I did do the whiter than snow science experiment with the kids and even though they have seen it before they still are in awe!
Reading:
Both girls are doing great on their reading and enjoyed the books for their independent reading time. I am very happy with their fluency and their comprehension is also getting better. I did a a running record this week where they both read over 100 wpm! Their literature response this week was to make a film strip over a book they read.
Math:
This week we finished up some harder addition and subtraction and then the girls had a review section, which I called a test! Usually when they do their work I have them correct what they miss as we go back over it together. This works great since I don't do grades but today I decided to grade their "test" and have them do it on their own, reading the directions and everything. Ally ended up making a B and Audrey a C. I was a little shocked at Audrey's but soon realized all of the careless mistakes she made! This was good for her to start taking notice of her work instead of me helping her. Both girls had a lot of trouble with the phrase "how many more" in their word problems. This was hard for fourth graders I taught! We will just keep working on it.
Art, Music, Computer:
Computer time was spent on math facts but after this weeks "test: it looks like I may need to find some word problem practice. We had lots of music with Co Op classes and piano so we didn't use the the CD this week. In art we made windmills instead of the suggested project. We also learned about warm and cool colors with our alternate art book. I did do the whiter than snow science experiment with the kids and even though they have seen it before they still are in awe!
The girls cannot wait to hear about how the Pilgrims handle living in Leiden! I have a friend who used to live there who sent us lots of neat pictures to look at this week.




No comments:
Post a Comment