Pilgrims Leave England for Holland
Bible Verse: Matthew 6: 19-21
"Lay not upon yourselves treasures upon Earth or moth or dust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal. But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt where thieves break through and steal. For where your treasure is there will your heart be also. "
Since the verse was rather long this week and the girls also had AWANA verses to learn, we just focused on the last of the verse, the part I underlined. Here is a photo of their AWANA books this year.
Poem: Daybreak
We didn't do as much with the poem this week as normal : ( However the girls did make a picture for it and do their copywork.
Song: Where Your Treasure Is
Read Aloud:Various Books about Helen Kellar
We read different biographies about Helen Kellar to finish out our biography unit! The girls were truly amazed at all she accomplished given her limited abilities.
History: It was neat for the girls to read about and hear how the Pilgrims were treated and that King James finally let them leave England! They are loving history so far this year. One day this week we took a book I checked out at the library and did a little research on Holland and looked at pictures of the dike and windmills we read about it. It was so great seeing the girls make all these connections. We also had fun building our own dikes out of play dough and we learned that Audrey would probably never have a job as a builder because hers kept leaking!
Science: We did two experiments one over surface tension and one over how light absorbs and reflects. I was only able to get photos of our surface tension lesson.
Spelling/Phonics: This weeks focus was on short o words and the girls did very well with them. I am so happy that Audrey is doing well. We did roll a word with our words this week and the girls asked to do it everyday! It was really fun for them to do different things with each word. They made a 100 on their weekly test and earned a ticket!
Writing: This week we wrote about Abraham and I was so happy to see the girls make their outline without much help and then turn that into some very good sentences. We are still working on using more adjectives in our writing but they are getting it! In their Friday journal I had them write about imagining they woke up as an adult! Super fun and cute to see what they wrote! I laughed when the first thing they both wrote was that they would be bossy! We still have things to work on but I think their writing is colony along. Audrey is by far my weaker speller.
Here are their weekly journals!
I woke up and I was a grown up. First, I would be bossy. Second, I would write a story. Third, I would spank my brother. Fourth, I would put on a dress. That is all about my life as a grown up. The end. By Ally
Reading: The girls are reading well and comprehension is improving daily. For their weekly literature response project they made a story puzzle about one of the books they read on their own. They liked this. I also used this to do a non fiction lesson with the book we borrowed about Holland. We worked on captions and the girls then had to draw a picture of something from history this week and write a caption for it.
Math: We worked on adding and subtracting bigger numbers. Audrey did better when I turned the problems vertical instead of solving them horizontal. Here is a photo of what we did to help her out. We also played a game of addition bingo that I found for .50!!!
Art, Music, Computer, PE: The girls had a great piano lesson this week! The weather has cooled off a bit so they kids got to enjoy some outside PE. As for computer they are still working on math games for addition and subtraction speed. In art they made a barn and with a verse after our weekly bible study. We read about the parable of the rich man in Luke.
Here us a cute pic of Ian working on his AWANA work! He also caught on to our history lessons and the Pilgrims riding on a ship so he played ships a lot this week.


















No comments:
Post a Comment