The VanEvera Family December 23-30, 2012
This was the first time in my life I had snow on Christmas day!!! I was just as excited as my kids about all that snow, 10 inches in the front yard! We played and played and the ground was just so pretty, I loved looking at all that white on Christmas. As I was thanking God for such a beautiful and wonderful Christmas I couldn't help but think He sent a little baby to Earth to save us for our sins and make them as white as snow! What a miracle that was to talk to the kids about! That was my favorite Christmas gift, sharing that lesson with the girls!
We got to spend time together building snowmen, having snowball fights, making snow angels, and just rolling and laughing in the snow. It was Ian's first time to really get to play in the snow because the last time we had that much to play in the he was only 8 months old. At first he didn't like it all because it went up to his things and he couldn't walk but we convinced him to try again and he LOVED it! We built a pirate snowman!
Christmas Eve and Christmas morning have been almost magical since Ally and Audrey came along. Kids make the wonder of Christmas so precious and innocent and I love it. This year Ian really got into to the Christmas spirit, with his singing. He learned many new songs and sings them over and over. It is the cutest little thing!
On Christmas Eve the kids and I got all of our baking and cooking done for Christmas dinner. We made cookies for Santa and cupcakes for Jesus, as well as an entire meal for the whole family to enjoy after opening gifts. Ally and Audrey helped me with the cookies and the cupcakes and of course the reindeer food. We usually put out marshmallows for the reindeer but this year did something different and all three kids had the best time making it and then sprinkling it on the ground for the reindeer! The kids dressed in their new Christmas PJ's, all coordinating of course! Each year the we have given the kids a new pair of PJ's to wear the night Santa visits. This year the choice was plaid :) We ate dinner over at my parents house and opened gifts with my brother before we headed home to prepare for Christmas day.
After he putting out of cookies and eggnog for Santa, along with a few little notes written by Ally and Audrey, we put out the reindeer food. Then it was time for Paul to read to the kids. First he reads them Twas the night before Christmas while mommy acts out the story :) and then we move on to the real meaning of Christmas, the birth of Christ which we read from the bible. We tell them that we save the best for last! I am so happy and blessed that while my kids love presents and Santa that they know he true meaning behind Christmas. Ian will tell you that it is Jesus' Birthday and the girls when they are asked to pick a movie to watch will say "let's get one about baby Jesus because that is what Christmas is really about." When our readings are done we lay out our stockings and then wait for bed. This year they all three went right to sleep! Paul and I were so tired that we almost forgot to do Santa's job, but we remembered!
I LOVE seeing my kids on Christmas morning! It was one of the things I looked forward to the most when we were trying and planning for them. I have always loved and enjoyed Christmas but not as much as do now that I am a mommy! Seeing those sweet, tired, but excited faces just about makes me cry! It reminds me of how our faces look once we receive Christ and how excited he must be because instead of a new present he now has a new soul to join him in heaven one day! I couldn't sleep that night because I was so anxious for the kids to wake up!
They girls know that we open stockings first and then presents from Santa! It was cute to see their reactions to getting the things they asked for! Then we move on to their gifts from the family and those seemed to go on for a bit but once everything was finally opened, we picked up all the paper and enjoyed a cinnamon steussel cake for breakfast! Then we started getting their things out of the packages! I wanted to take a picture of them with all of their gifts but they wanted to play so I gave in! I put away all the stocking items, clothes, books, movies, bathroom toys, and make up and then we start to open the boxes up. I got two paper cuts this year!! OUCH!! We then play and play until time to get ready for my parents to come over and then the fun starts all over!!! After that we get to eat lunch!
This year it was my turn to host Christmas day dinner so we had pork chops with apricot sausage stuffing and gravy, twice baked mashed potatoes, chili cream cheese corn, and bread pudding...YUMMY!!! We sang Happy Birthday do Jesus before we ate cupcakes and prayed and thanked God that we were together and could have a good Christmas.
It was a fun day which ended with the snow!! I love Christmas but I love the first part even more..CHRIST! Now as we are heading into the new year I am busy wrapping my mind around a few things I want to accomplish in 2013! I still have little bit to finalize those!
No comments:
Post a Comment