It is hard to believe that it is already November!! We are already starting our unit and study about the first Thanksgiving and the girls really enjoyed it! We did a short week this week since most of the history is already known to the girls and we had a day of doctor's appointments to check on Baby Emersyn. I let the girls go with me and we learned all about babies and how they grow. It was a great hands on science day!
Unit 13: The First Thanksgiving
Verse: Our HOD verse for the week is Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.
We also worked on our AWANA verses again because last week was fun night and the kids didn't have verse time.
Song: Track #19 All Things Work Together
Poem: We Plough the Fields and Scatter
Bible: We read 1 Chronicles 29:10-20 about David and the Israelite's. Then we had fun making a map of Solomon's Palace using directions. It was a cute bible and geography lesson all in one! I love that about HOD!
Storytime: Charlotte's Web by E.B White
This week we started on our fantasy book and it is one of my all time favorites!! Ally has her a copy is reading it along with me as well as some on her own! I have not told them about the sad ending and will not do so until I have to because I don't want to ruin the story for them!
Spelling: review Phonics: We took off from phonics this week as I still have not had the time to get their new books!! I think after I get them I will switch up their spelling and they will each test over their phonics words for the week instead of the HOD list #2. Audrey needs more work with segmenting and blending. She does well on testing on her words but it does not carry over into her writing, so we are going to try a different approach! History/Geography: This week we studied about the very first Thanksgiving and it is always interesting to learn about! the girls really loved playing the Indian games! Our geography was already mentioned as we did it with our bible study lessons.
Writing: I decided to take time off of IEW and focus more on fun writing! We used what we were doing in history and made a graphic organizer about the first Thanksgiving using the five W's. We then used that to write in our journals this week about what we learned. The girls did well with the summary and information though Audrey and I had to sit down and edit some of her work and talk about slowing down. Here is a snapshot of our writing this week.
Reading: For reading this week Audrey read both suggested books, Keep the Lights Burning Abbie, and Wagon Wheels. She liked them both and made the connection that they both were about things we have studied! I let Ally read Charlotte's Web as it is more on her level. I did a running record on both girls as well as have them complete a reading journal entry.
Math: Math this week was super easy for them as it was reading, writing, and making bigger numbers. We have done this since pre K and do it daily in our calendar, so it was a breeze! We still take the time to do it though as I don't want them to lose this skill.
Art/PE/Computer/Music/Enrichment: In art this week we made a clam because during the first Thanksgiving the children hunted the clams to make broth! I just made my own version and the girls had fun with it though it does not look all that pretty! In computer they played free games and did some typing. For music they had their Co op class as well as their weekly piano lessons and daily practice. In PE we tried to go outside when the weather was nice and for enrichment we spent the day at the doctor's office learning about babies!




No comments:
Post a Comment