Thursday, April 5, 2012

Mommy Minutes

I love, love, love, my kids!! I do not regret my choice to leave the classroom and stay home with them. I would and do, do anything for them no matter what. However, I do need to take some mommy minutes from time to time, to keep me in the "sane" frame of mommydom! With Paul driving a bus before and after school, teaching, and then having class two nights a week and AWANA one night, my mommy minutes are a life saver not to mention a sanity saver!

Mommy minutes can be just about anything that includes just me and myself and in some cases just me with one of the kids! Here a few examples of some of my mommy minutes.

Going to the bathroom ALONE!! Even if there is screaming at the door, I just lock it, do my stuff and then sit and relish some time to myself. I have even taken a book or the computer in just to get to do something without little hands all over me.

When there is an extra set of hands to help out, I run. Just me and the road and no one asking for this or needing help with that. When they are sleeping it does not count because I have to be back by a certain time for Paul to leave for work, but Saturday morning and other days Paul is home, I can run and not worry about how long I can go. I love it.

Sitting outside typing a blog or reading a book while the kids play! This one is really nice because all of us get to enjoy something fun. It is a win win for everyone.

A quiet time of prayer and reflection and praise! This one mostly happens during nap time. It also occurs when I feel worthless and terrible as a mother. My time with HIM renews me and gives me the chance to apologize to the kids if needed and give them an example of how imperfect we are and how perfect HE is.

Nap time with my kids! We love to all snuggle in my bed and sleep! It does not happen often as I use their resting to get some work done around the house but I do enjoy this one. Sometimes it is just the girls and I since Ian likes the crib for naps but either way some peace and quiet and cuddles all together is priceless.

A nice, long, warm, shower when the kids are down for bed! Normally I have to rush to shower because someone is about to wake up or show up.

Taking just five minutes to play with each child separately! These moments I cherish and each time I learn something new and fun about my child! With Ian we play cars or shoot stuff, with Ally she does my hair or make up, and with Audrey we wrestle or dance! Sometimes we do other stuff but these are their favorites to do with mommy. When I can get out and about with only one, I do!

Mommy minutes are a life saver, they make me feel human, and like a real person instead of a mommy only. There is nothing wrong with being a mommy at all, but I am not just a mommy! I wear many, many hats, Christian, a teacher, a maid, a chef, a laundry person, a shopper, a wife, a woman, a daughter, a friend, a child care provider, and much more! Taking a few minutes for me makes all those hats possible and bearable!

No comments:

Post a Comment