Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Unit 34 and done!

We did it, we finished our first year with HOD and loved it. My girls learned so much in every area and I am so proud of them! 


Out last unit was over the transcontinental railroad and how it connected our country. In history we met Mike, an Irish boy and heard his view point on the Chinese and Irish fight to finish first in constructing the railroad. 


This event also concluded our timeline for the year. We made a big one and the girls kept one in their binders. 


Here are our two science experiments for the week! 



In our bible we learned that we all have an eternal home in heaven if we ask. Audrey has accepted that offer last year so please pray for Ally. She knows the facts but is not ready. 
After our lesson instead of making clouds I told the kids to paint a picture of what they think heaven looks like, they are so sweet. Ian said there will be lots of rainbows! 


We worked on our poem and spelling the seasons and days of the week in spelling.   We also wrote a letter to our pen pals in language to review the parts of a letter.

We finished our folk take and also read Freckle Juice just for laughs! Next we I'll read Because if Winn Dixie. We will still have real alouds through summer. As a family we love reading together and with each other. 


Their girls finished The Courage od Sarah Nobel and made an event wheel. They had to tell the story in four parts, first, then, next, and last. They did enjoy the book. 


In math we are working on finishing 2a and only have one review left and should be done by the end of this week. 

We did a how to in writing over how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich and of course we made some to eat! It took a bit for the girls to get it because I told them the steps have to be clear enough to follow for someone whoa has never made one. We did many revisions. 


The girls had piano and outside play time as well as I pad time. 

I also did end if the year assessments in reding and writing. They are above grade level in both!! I am very proud of them, I have one more reading to do with them to be done testing. Our state requires testing in third grade and up so I assess them through the year both formally and informally for my benefit. 

Next week we will finish up math and a reading test as well as do a lapbook on animals for an end of the year trip to the zoo! That will conclude our year.

 In the summer we will read daily and keep up on math skills as well as write in journals once a week. 

We loved Beyond and are looking forward to Bigger and Ian starting Little Hands. Thank you HOD for a wonderful first grade year! 

1 comment: