Bible Verse: 1 John 4:15-16 "Whoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him and he is in God. And we have known and believed that God hath to us. God is love."
The girls took a bit longer to memorize their verse this week but they did it! We have also started AWANA so they will have other verses to learn during the week as well but I think they will do fine!
Poem: Uphill
They enjoyed this poem and I was thrilled when they made the connection from the poem being about an inn and the Brewster's in our history lessons who owned and inn :) Proud mommy/teacher moment!
Song: God is Love
I was happy that all three kids loved the song this week! My little guy was singing it all week with the girls!
Read Aloud: Benjamin West and his Cat Grimalkin
We finished our read aloud this week and we were all happy about the ending but sad we finished the book. I had the girls do two things to summarize what we read. First, they wrote in their journals about Benjamin and second we filled out a paragraph frame. I did some of the writing and the girls did some. They do alot of writing each week so I cut them some slack from time to time.
Spelling: short i words Phonics: Audrey- blends Ally- syllables Ian: letter C and speech practice.
Ally and Audrey are still loving spelling tic tac toe. I took a few shots of some of the things they did this week during that time. They both got all of their words correct on their spelling test this week.
Ian is doing better on his letters and has even learned to tell the difference between a letter and a number! He also had two great sessions of speech this week and his therapists and I are very proud of him. He went to his HIPPY screening this week as well and we will start those lesson in a few weeks. HIPPY is a free program here in Arkansas that stands for Home Instruction for Parents of Preschool Youngsters. It is Common Core based now from what I have heard but are going to try it to give Ian a bit more structure and without buying a full curriculum for him right now. The girls did it but there was no Common Core at that time.
History:
Our unit this week was over King James and the people of England who did not believe in him or his ways of worship. The girls found this very interesting that someone could tell you how to believe and worship God. They could not wait for history each day and even on those days we doubled up we did a few lessons twice! I caught the girls more than once playing Barbie's and their dolls were being called Fear and Patience after the characters in our lessons this week. This week we also switched to a different history book, Stories of the Pilgrims. I was very pleased that it also followed the same easy story format of American Pioneers and Patriots. We did not have a time line entry this week but played a game that all three kids really enjoyed. We played twice, once during school and once with Daddy when he got home. Here are a few shots of our history book for the next few weeks and the girls completed history pages.
Science:
We did two experiments this week, one over how bees pollinate flowers and one over how light colors reflect light and dark colors absorb light. It was hard to get good photos of the light lesson but here is a collage of our bees and pollen experiment.
Writing/Language:
This week we wrote our first full writing of the year and we used our outlines from last week about Noah to help us. The girls had to put their outline into complete sentences. We did this together and they wrote what I wrote. They gave me the sentences and then copied them down. I took us 3 days to finish because I wanted to go slow for a bit. They also had to put adjectives into their piece. I was very happy with their work.
Our language focus was on subjects and predicates and they seemed to get the whole concept but had trouble remembering the word predicate! This will be something I bring up often to keep it in their minds.
Reading:
Both girls are doing great on their reading and enjoyed the books for their independent reading time. I am very happy with their fluency and their comprehension is also getting better. Their literature response this week was to make a connection to one of the books they read. These turned out very good.
Math:
Math was a total breeze this week, it was numbers to 40 we did not spend alot of time on it. They liked using the unifix cubes pictured below for math and Ian practices his patterns and counting with them.
Art, Music, Computer:
Computer time was spent practicing math facts for speed. The girls do not like it all that much but I have seen improvement in their speed and accuracy! They had some theory practice for piano that we worked on for music and they did surprisingly well! For art we created a rose vined castle wall and did some other work from a book we used last year, I Can Do All Things. They enjoy those lesson and wanted extra art time this week. Here is cute photo of them working.













No comments:
Post a Comment