Thursday, October 31, 2013

A look at what we did in unit 12

This was Halloween week but we still did school :) The kids got to dress up for Co Op this week and that set us up for a long and crazy but still fun week! 


Unit 12: Samoset and Squanto Help the Pilgrims 

Verse: Review!!!! The girls did alot of AWANA work this week as well. 

Song: No Song This week! We just played our CD while we worked. 

Poem: The Perfect Prayer

Bible: We read John 14: 23-31  about trusting and obeying God, just like the Pilgrims did. They had fun with our art experiment over how God floods our hearts with peace!

Storytime: Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder
      We were a little sad to finish the book this week as we really did LOVE it!!  As we went along we kept a time line of the chapters. For the girls book project this week they made a fact book about true things from the book. I was very proud of them! 


Spelling: Long u words Phonics: Audrey tested out of book 2 and Ally tested out of book 4. It looks like I need to head to the store or order their new books. I guess next week they get a little break from phonics!   Audrey had a hard time with this weeks words, we do list 2. She struggles more with phonics and spelling, so we played alot of games. She did miss minute on her test for the week but got the rest!! 


History/Geography: Our history lessons were over how the Pilgrims and Indians became friends and helped each other. Ally and Audrey liked making the map of the Plymouth Fort as well as writing the Indian stories with symbols. Here are a few photos of their work.


Science: I was terrible about photos this week! With it being Halloween week, I took tons of photos for that! We had two easy science lessons that did not take us long at all. One was over why we have seasons and the other one was on the spread of germs. I am really thinking of adding more to science but like their mommy my girls do not have an intense passion for science right now so these simple lessons work for them. They are learning and like what we are doing so we will stick it out! 

Writing: This week we did another three lesson week while learning about Solomon. The girls did a good job writing everything in their own words and remember to use good adjectives, verbs, a who which clause, and ly words! They also added a quote from a character in this weeks lessons! I did have them do some journal writing as well. They wrote about when we made our jack o lanterns! It was nice to break away from formal writing. I am thinking we may finish up this unit in IEW over the next few weeks and then jump back into themed and more fun writing.

Reading: In their reading the girls read Frog and Toad Are Friends and both liked it, even though it was a bit easy for them both to read. This book has always been my favorite Frog and Toad book and the girls enjoyed it to.  In their reading journals this week I had them write about one of their friends. 

Math: In math we worked on time to the hour and the half our. We also played time bingo! I took a grade on a review lesson that they worked on. 




Art/PE/Computer/Music/Enrichment:  The girls are getting better at typing thanks to the computer games they have been playing!!  They also had a great piano lesson this week and had fun playing indoor Halloween games for PE. They always like to books we use for enrichment and beg to to them everyday! We love our extra activities each week. We didn't do art this week but will pick it back up! I try and do one day of each activity or do them all on Fun Friday! 
We had fun making Halliween food and attending princess night at our local Chick fil ! 




No comments:

Post a Comment