We have had such a good time in school this week. The girls are learning about the human body and ancient Egypt as well as the death and ressurecction of Christ. We are also working on long vowels again and the various ways to get the sounds in words. I took the kids to the library for story time and crafts, we went on a nature walk around the yard and park, we completed our first grade math workbook! What a good week and tomorrow we get to check out a local Co Op for next year!! We are very excited and the girls cannot wait! There is even a little class for Ian.
I am going to ask for prayer about this decision! We only want God's will to be done in the girls education! We really want to explore a few outside options for school for them so they get a break from each other and get to be with other kids but in order to do so we have to find the right fit. We also will need to make some sacrifices to make it happen. Paul and I are willing to do what we need to, if this is what God wants for our kids education. They will still be home schooled and still attend church and AWANA, and both girls will be starting piano this summer, and they both want to play soccer again in the fall. Each of them has also chosen a camp to attend this summer on a topic or activity that interest them. We are just wanting them to have something else, like an enrichment opportunity!
I want to go back and brag on the girls completing their math for the year. I did test them and see if they were ready to go on and with a cut off score of 80%, Ally made a 90% and Audrey made an 88%!! It looks like both girls are ready for second grade math! I am so proud of them. I do have their books already but this content is a little harder and new to them so we will go a bit slower with this one. By looking at the curriculums placement guide the girls are now in second grade math!! They are almost done with their first year of My Father's World, their core curriculum, only a few more weeks!
As of now with the assessments I have done here is where the girls stand. Remember they just turned 6 and this would technically be their kindergarten year! I am so proud of them and that homeschooling allows us to go at the pace that is best for them! We can go ahead when needed and slow down when we need to.
Math: Both girls are ready to start second grade
Spelling: Audrey is on a first grade level, Ally is on a second grade level
Phonics: Audrey is in the middle of first grade and Ally is on the end of second grade
Reading: Audrey is about a 1.8 and Ally is about a 2.5
I am very please with their progress and I am hoping that with the new things we will be starting with our new school year that both girls will continue to excel and advance in their studies.
No comments:
Post a Comment