Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Enjoying God's World

Yesterday we spent alot of time outside enjoying God's Wonderful World!! The girls found a bird nest and some broken robin eggs. We talked about robins and how they hop and not walk and even found some in our yard to watch, even Ian was into it! We went for a walk down our street and had dinner at the park and played and the kids got to play out in the backyard most of the day when their work was done!  Today is looking like it may be more of the same, outside after lessons!!!  Tonight is soccer practice so there will be no park but we will be outside playing!!!

Today we had our history lessons from the New Testament and the girls are reading well! We are still working on our last AWANA verse for the year as well as the last 7 minor prophets in the Old Testament. I am so proud of them for memorizing these things so young, they really are bright girls. I need to learn how to take and post photos daily, that just may be my goal for next year!

The beans are sprouting!!!  The girls want to plant them in the yard so that may be part of their outside time today. They are really enjoying learning about plants and I am glad that they enjoy science.

We did our first unit review in our 1A workbooks and they are on pace to finish this one before this school year is up!! Three workbooks in a year is ALOT!!!  They like math we just need to work on speed for our addition and subtraction facts.

This week in word study we are still working on words with weird sounds like treasure, addition, mission, vision, chute, pleasure, measure, usual, and special. This will be our second week and Ally is getting them great but Audrey is like her mom and spelling is not a strong trait!  That is why next year I am going to have the girls do Explode the Code and have them on their own pace! I bought the testing book to help me place them in the right level. We were going to do our work online but I think for the first part of the year I want to help them, especially Audrey with it. She reads well but spelling is so phonetic for her, just like me. She does not have the concept that words also have to look right!  I think the new program will be good for both of them. It will give Audrey more practice and it will challenge Ally who will be on a higher level.

As for writing they girls write in their journals daily and write a daily summary over their bible story for the day. We also try and write one short five sentence story a week with a beginning, 3 details, and an ending. Next year we will do a story a week and begin the entire writing process and take a day for each for each one: pre-write, rough draft, revise/edit, publish and then have a day off on Friday!  Eventually we will go beyond the five sentence paragraph!!

In reading the girls read their bible story and did their familiar reading and I also had them read a Raz Kids books and take a quiz. Audrey is now up to 75 books and Ally is now at 102. I am so proud of my readers!!!  We also read a book together and practiced cause and effect, our reading skill for the week.

The rest of the week we will do a couple of more history and bible lessons, word work, addition and subtraction practice, reading, cause and effect skills, art, and our read alouds!  We cannot wait for Birthday Fun Friday!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment