Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Wednesday Crack Down

We all get the mid-week slump and my girls are no different and by the middle of the week they are tired and do not want to work as hard as they did earlier in the week. Accompany that with the fact they have AWANA in the evening it is even more of a chore to get them to work. I know how the feel but unfortunately it is a life lesson that everyone has to learn, there is no rest for the weary!  After our usual mid week pep talk, the girls got going and finished up their lessons for the day.

We read about how God helped Moses part the Red Sea and that is one of their favorite stories :) We worked on our summary skills as well as our handwriting. I have noticed that both girls are getting sloppy in their handwriting. I have gone back to modeling everything and for letter they make sloppy they get practice handwriting page, which they do not like at all! I am hoping this helps.

The girls finished up their chapter in Singapore math for the week over addition and subtraction practice. They are getting better and can almost get ten facts done in a minute! We also skipped counted by two's and worked on ordinal numbers as a review. They girls and I like our math program so well that I have already ordered their books for next year!

In our anchor text for the week Amazing Grace we did a character analysis on the main character Grace and the girls did very well. They are also full of connections based on our lessons from yesterday. In their independent reading or library time they have to find one connection to their book and tell me about it as well as one thing they learned about the main character in their book. I am trying to work more on comprehension reading skills with them both.

Our weekly poem is about pronouns so we went on a pronoun hunt in our library books as well. The girls had to find ten pronouns in their book and tell me if they were singular or plural. It looks like I may need to start a reading journal with them but I think I may wait until next year! I used them in my classroom and it was a great assessment tool and independent practice without alot of worksheets and it helps improve writing skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment