Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Day 11 Shark Day!!!

I guess I am finally in winding down mode for our summer "break", no pictures today either :(  Daddy did most of the girls studies with them and he is notorious for just doing and not documenting.

Today as the girls learned about sharks and added to their lapbooks, I used this time to teach them about using an index in non fiction text. They had such a good time and did so well with it! In fact when we went to the library the girls had fun looking for their non fiction choices (yes I make them check out at least 1 non fiction text). They were making choices based on reading the table of contents and the index :) I love when lessons stick! They will love tomorrow's lesson when we become non fiction detectives and look for book with non fiction components we have learned.



Ally did not enjoy learning so much about sharks but she did well and loved looking up information in the book we read. Audrey enjoyed it as well and though she needed a little more guidance she caught on quick. Now that the girls have finished their ocean study lapbooks we have set them aside for the next few days and will pull them out next week when they get ready to write their report on what they have learned in our study.  I do see where I need to learn how to make their lapbooks expand more. I finally just let them keep their art papers in the center like a folder.

During independent time the girls each read a book and made a connection and then had to determine what kind of connection it was, text to self or text to text. They also had to find one hard work and write it down and then figure out what it meant. They both did well with this skill.

We went to library time for computer practice, to get new books, and for craft time. The craft today was sand art which Ian really enjoyed!  He also loves the kid friendly computers and to get his own books.

Tomorrow we have an art activity, some math, and of course reading then we will be done for the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment