The day to day happenings of homeschooling my children and managing life with four kids, a husband, and a cat! It's kind of like my online journal of our days learning, living, and loving together!
Friday, January 11, 2013
Fun Friday!
When I taught school I always thought if my kids worked hard all week, that on Friday we would have a little fun and mix things up, do a lot more games, having author share instead of writing, partner reading, math games, ect. So with homeschooling the girls I do the same thing, if they work really hard and try their best all week, we do Fun Fridays!! This is just a little how those days go.
I let the girls sleep in, no waking up for school until they are ready! Now, we do have Family Friday Nights where they can stay up as late as they can or until Mommy and Daddy go to bed :)
We still do calendar and journal as well as our read aloud. Today we are still on the book Meet Molly and learning about WWII in the process. It is the only day that I allow them to do journals in the living room on the rug while watching TV, but they know if it is not done in timely manner then it will not happen again! I also have a fun worksheet for them, no skill and drill, but a fun sheet that does require thinking and coloring! Today it was a sheet on using clues to find out who had what mitten. I told them we were going to be detectives!! I even let them dress up!
Fun Friday math is always using the pattern blocks. I have the neatest book with stuff for them to create! They love it and my little ones do as well. We use them to make animals and then answer questions about what we did. Sometimes we use a worksheet, sometime it is oral. They girls love Friday math time and pattern blocks. If the mood strikes we add craft/art time and it is free choice!!! I have most of the control most of the week so I try to give them a chance to have their own control on Fun Friday!
I also give the girls a spelling test on Friday and if they earn a 100 they get an extra ticket. They get a ticket everyday they work and do their best! After 10 tickets we have prizes they can get. They love this and try to earn extra tickets! This week both girls did excellent on their test. We study a list of words and focus on one or two sounds and then I will pick a few words to test them on, so they do not know which ones and are not memorizing a list of words. It has been working pretty well!
The girls also still read one Raz Kids book but it is their choice today, so it can be any level as long as it is not super easy or they have read it before! I typically chose so I know what level and keep them on appropriate pace but not on Fun Friday!!
I love Fun Friday just as much as the kids if not more!!! We have school, we learn, but we have fun and my kids still get to be kids!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment