Thursday, January 17, 2013

Penguin Fun!!

The girls and I went all out learning about penguins and had so much fun without just doing coloring sheets or reading books!  They loved the experiment on how a penguin keeps warm in its habitat and they could explain it back to me verbatim :) That always makes me happy. They were excited to read through all of my penguin books during library time and just soaked up the information. We learned a few penguin vocabulary words and also compared and contrasted adults from chicks. In their journals they had to write three sentences on how penguins keep warm and they did. They each read their Raz Kids books well but missed a few on the quiz so we practiced some rereading and reading for specific information. This went great and we will keep practicing. I was so proud of their reading today!!

We worked on our changer words and Audrey did great!! The girls even asked to take their spelling test today and we did. Audrey missed the word giant and spelled it gient but both girls got the correct punctuation on their dictation sentence :) Yay! After failing the grammar skills test we have been working hard. I still need to buy a test prep book to get them familiar with testing. I do Dibels on them but they have not really been exposed to formal standardized testing and I am not quite sure of the rules for testing here in Arkansas. I think they start testing home school kids in third grade but I am not sure. I guess I need to get on the ball because if it is this year we need to get on it!! I know they have the content but the actual test format would be a bust right now!

In math they worked on dimes and coin combinations and making certain amounts. They did well though we used coins to practice and then I gave them coin stamps to make amounts and have their sister write the amount. This was fun and so tomorrow for math instead of pattern blocks, we will use the money stamps some more. I am proud of their money skills, they still need work but are so much better than before! I had heard that with Common Core Standards in place money was not being taught until around second grade, so I am glad the girls are ahead! They did very well at adding by 5's and 10's.

We put in our Yoga with Phonics video for our PE today and the little ones have started picking up on their sounds! It never hurts to have the girls hear the basic sounds, I love reinforcing old skills in a fun way.

Tomorrow looks like it will be Fun Friday since we completed our bible lessons, math chapter, and spelling for the week!!!  We will do our Story books tomorrow and I can't wait to share about those.

No comments:

Post a Comment